Changes to record details of a heavy goods vehicle with DVSA

From 31st January 2019, the old TD1 form (Application for a plating certificate for a goods vehicle form) will no longer be accepted by the DVSA.

There are now 2 new forms to record the details of heavy goods vehicles with DVSA.

The new forms are:

VTG 788 for vehicles approved under European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval or National Small Series Type Approval.

VTG 789 is for a vehicle that has an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

You’ll need to complete and return the appropriate form so you can:

  • get a ministry plate and plating certificate (if the vehicle needs them)
  • book an annual test (MOT) for the vehicle

These forms should be completed after you or the dealer register the HGV with the DVLA.

There’s no fee to record the vehicle details with DVSA.

The forms can be submitted by post or email.

If you need any help with any of this, feel free to email us at or through the contact page on our website.

Leave a Comment