Bus Service

Main Differences Between Goods Vehicle (LGV / HGV) and Passenger Licensing (PSV / PCV)


The differences in the licences are that there are 4 options with passenger carrying licences, whereas there are only 3 for road transport.

PSV / PCV licences also have the ‘special restricted licence’ in addition to restricted, standard national and standard international.

Special restricted licences are a specific licence type which allows a registered taxi operator who is authorised by the local authority to operate taxis. With this licence type the company can run a single local, registered service for passengers paying at separate fares.

This is the only vehicle over eight passenger seats which can be used on the licence and the licence is granted by the traffic commissioner for the area in which they are operating.

All other vehicles operated by the company must be of a type, smaller than eight passenger seats.


With PCV / PSV there is no need to advertise the operating centre, only to confirm that there is sufficient off-street parking for the vehicles.


These are not vehicle specific unlike with road transport, so the disc’s are registered for the number authorised on the licence and it is down to the operator to look after them and ensure that the disc’s are displayed in each vehicle when in use.


Under PSV / PCV operator licensing there are also permit schemes available.

Section 19 Permits are not for profit permits which may include a church or rehabilitation service.

Section 22 Permits are issued to bodies for social and welfare needs, without a view to profit, which is a community bus service which carry the general public.

If you need any assistance with the topics covered in our Total Compliance Fortnightly Focus, please get in touch through info@totalcompliance.co.uk or by calling 0345 9001312.

#operatorlicence #compliance #complianceaudits #totalcompliance #transport #haulage #transportconsultant #hgv #lgv #psv #pcv