Paperwork for UK hauliers driving to the EU…

With the increasing confusion over what is and what is not required, we thought a summary would be useful.

Commercial drivers from the UK that operate in the EU will need new paperwork in addition to the documents already being carried.  This has been stated if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, however, we have recommended to put this paperwork in place to cover yourself anyway.

The documents the driver needs are:

A passport which has at least 6 months validity.  You can check your passport online using the following link

An International Driving Permit which can be obtained using this link

An ECMT permit and you can get all the information you need through this link

A valid driver CPC card

A valid tachograph card

The documents required for the vehicle are:

A GB sticker displayed on the vehicle and a separate one on the trailer for some countries, so we would recommend you display one at all times to be covered

A vehicle logbook (V5C registration certificate)

A trailer registration plate displayed and vehicle registered with DVLA

A motor insurance green card and a separate one for a trailer in some EEA countries

The additional documents from your shipping provider:

Separate cargo and customs documents from your shipping agent

Additional documents if transporting high risk goods or other controlled products like animals or plants


There are separate in depth guides available regarding rules and regulations across the EU as well as in specific countries and they can be viewed using the link below:

If you need any help or assistance in relation to any of the above then please feel free to contact us at


Leave a Comment